Avengers Campus is a new super hero-themed Land that opened to guests on June 4th 2021 at Disney California Adventure park. I was there in person and have all the top details on what to expect including rides, entertainment and dining. This is the intel on whether Avengers Campus at Disneyland is kid-friendly. Find out if you’ll need to be a huge Marvel fan to appreciate this new destination hot spot!
Who Can Visit Avenger’s Campus?
The Disneyland Resort and theme parks reopened to California residents on April 30th, 2021. When travel restrictions were lifted on June 15th, out-of-state travelers were welcomed back to the parks.
A valid theme park ticket and a day reservation are required for all guests visiting the Disneyland parks. There are more details about how the amusement parks are currently operating in this post about going to Disneyland in 2021. You’ll find lots of tips about touring strategies, park capacity, mobile dining and more.
What is Avengers Campus?
The backstory of Avengers Campus at Disneyland is that the world’s super heroes recognize the need for help in saving the universe. The Avengers Campus attractions will allow regular guests to train and team up with Marvel Super Heroes in interactive and innovative ways.
The entertainment found in Avengers Campus will give everyone a chance to get in on the action and truly immerse themselves in the Marvel story. And here’s a Disneyland secret: CAMPUS stands for Centralized Assembly Mobilized to Prepare, Unite and Safeguard. Pretty cool!
Discount Disneyland Vacation
Planning a Disneyland vacation? There are a lot of changes happening in the theme parks to keep up with including purchasing tickets and making park reservations.
Safely book your vacation using the Peace of Mind Plan from my travel partner Get Away Today. Tickets are refundable and if you purchase a vacation package with Peace of Mind, all changes are fee-free. Use code REWRITTEN for an extra $10 off a 2+ day vacation package.
Where is Avengers Campus?
Avengers Campus is a featured land inside Disney California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort. Avengers Campus stands on the lot that was formerly “a bug’s land”. This thrilling new land connects to the previously operating Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
What Attractions are at Avengers Campus?
The plot line behind Avengers Campus is that the super heroes are recruiting and training. The Land allows regular guests to “become super heroes” through these attractions! The hashtag #HeroesAssemble has been released so you can watch social media for further details about touring this area.
What you’ll find at Avengers Campus at Disneyland:
- 1 new attraction, WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure, the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man
- One quick service restaurant – Pym Test Kitchen
- Additional food carts, including Terran Treats & Shawarma Palace (in two locations)
- One quick service beverage location, including alcoholic drinks, Pym Tasting Lab
- Marvel character meet ‘n greets
- Rooftop live show
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! – opened in 2017 and now incorporated into Avengers Campus.
- 3 retail shopping locations – WEB Suppliers, Campus Supply Pod & Collector’s Warehouse
- Plenty of photo worthy walls and photo ops for social media sharing!
Opening in Phases
Not unlike Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, Avengers Campus will be opening in phases. There, most of the Land opened in phase one, with the E-Ticket Rise of the Resistance opening over 7 months later.
Avengers Campus phase one opened June 4th 2021. Phase two will open at a later date – no firm timeline has been announced about this second yet-to-come attraction.
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!
Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is the anchor attraction, currently found at the end of Hollywood Land. This ride took over the former Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror building.
New here, mysterious slime has been added to the concrete in front of the attraction. The Disney Parks Blog explains, “A late addition to the Campus, Taeleer Tivan, a.k.a. the Collector, placed his Fortress against its edges. This placement warped the ground immediately surrounding the alien stronghold causing a cosmic disruption to ooze from the ground below. Hues of blues, purples and yellows glow in the daylight”.
It’s a pretty cool new addition and the back story is fun. Most importantly, this trail will lead guests towards into the new Avengers Campus area.
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
Held inside the Worldwide Engineering Brigade (aka: WEB), this 3D attraction is perfect for the entire family. WEB SLINGERS has no height requirement, for which I’m so excited! I’m always glad to hear that Disney has created a new attraction that leaves no family member behind. Super heroes young and old will be able to ride WEB SLINGERS together.
Guests use their hands to “sling webs” in an attempt to stop replicating Spider-Bots that threaten to destroy Avengers Campus. Actor Tom Holland reprises the Spider-Man role from the movies. He appears in the pre-show and his voice is used throughout the attraction. I think guests will love experiencing testing their spidey-senses and the super power of slinging webs!
How to Ride WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure
All guests must secure a virtual queue boarding pass in order to ride WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. There is not a stand-by line for this new attraction.
This virtual queue the same system currently in use for Rise of the Resistance in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The window in which to receive entry for the virtual queue opens at 7 am and again at noon. These are the important things to know about the virtual queue:
- Only guests with a ticket & reservation for Disney California Adventure park or a Park Hopper ticket may enter the virtual queue for WEBSLINGERS. Tickets must be linked through the Disneyland app.
- WEBSLINGERS queue can only be entered once a day.
- No guests may hold a virtual boarding pass for both WEB SLINGERS and Rise of the Resistance at the same time.
- The 7 am virtual queue may be entered before scanning into the park. This means guests can try for their boarding pass inside the hotel room or while waiting in line outside of the parks.
- The 12 pm queue can only be entered by those who have scanned into California Adventure or Disneyland park.
How to Secure Virtual Queue
This may not work for everyone, but I’ll share how I was able to secure a boarding group for WEB SLINGERS on opening day. First and most important part is to have the current version of the Disneyland app downloaded to your smart device. My friend Leslie at Trips with Tykes has more details about WEB SLINGERS virtual queue.
- Ensure that your valid park tickets are added to the app.
- On the morning of your visit, open the app and navigate to the virtual queue section.
- At the top, there will be two tabs – either Disneyland park or Disney California Adventure park. To try for the WEB SLINGERS virtual queue, click the California Adventure tab.
- When the time turns to 6:59 am on your phone, start refreshing the page by pulling down the screen.
- At 7:00 am, the blue button to join the virtual queue will pop up.
- Click the button. The following screen will show all the valid tickets. These should already be clicked and you can immediately click through to the next page.
- If you were successful, you’ll receive this notice of a boarding group! Didn’t get it in the morning window? Try again at noon. This is the same process to use if you’re attempting to secure a virtual queue for Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland.
Are WEB Tech Accessories Needed?
Guests may purchase customized WEB Tech accessories as a way of plussing up their experience on WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. What do these toys do and are they required to ride?
As described by Disney, this technology “recognizes body movements and gestures, you’ll reach out your hands and sling webs from your wrists, just like Spider-Man”. Sounds cool, right?
It starts with a WEB Power Band. This base band unlocks a gaming mode on the ride. Additional accessories that are added to the band are inspired by favorite super heroes including Iron Man and Ghost Spider.
So should you purchase this additional WEB tech? This is technically a souvenir toy that once home, can be played with. It has lights, sounds, projections, and webs that eject and retract (Spider-Man & Ghost Spider version) or blast air (Iron Man and Rescue-inspired). When used on the game, the WEB Power Band and add-ons offer a different gaming experience. The attraction mode unlocks a multi-fire web capability or changes powers to repulsor blasts, depending upon which version you choose.
At $29.99, the WEB Power Band is a reasonably priced souvenir. Attachments are $24.99 each. While it does add a new experience to the WEB SLINGERS attraction, this would be mostly a toy being played with at home.
How to Tour Avengers Campus
Three entry/exit points have been built into Avengers Campus. The main entrance is located across from Golden Vine Winery and next to the entrance of Cars Land. Additional entry is near the end of Hollywood Land and a second down the trail from Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters in Cars Land.
When Avengers Campus first opened, capacity was limited. Guests were required either to score a virtual queue to WEB SLINGERS or wait in the stand-by line. At this time there are no limitations and guests may enter Avengers Campus at any time without restriction.
Unknown E-Ticket Attraction
Not too many details yet about this yet-unnamed attraction but here’s what we do know. The attraction will be housed inside the Avengers Headquarters building. This building (opening in phase two) will become the entrance to a new E-Ticket attraction.
Recruits will step aboard a Quinjet to fly alongside the Avengers, taking them on an epic adventure to Wakanda (and beyond)! This attraction will be an innovative ride system, placing guests in the midst of the action. An opening date for this ride has not yet been announced.
Other Avengers Campus Entertainment
The times and locations for some of these Marvel character driven shows are available in the Disneyland app. Some of these do not happen after dark, so be sure to check the apps for showtimes during your visit if you want to ensure not to miss!
Set to take place on the rooftop of the Avengers Headquarters, featuring live-action entertainment. Expect to see favorite characters as they race off to their next adventure.
The Amazing Spider-Man!
Have you seen the Spider-Man animatronic that was featured on the Disney+ Imagineering Story? It’s truly amazing! When in action, the animatronic performs acrobatics 65′ above the rooftops!
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to catch it during either of my two Avengers Campus visits. However I did get to see a “real” Spider-Man climbing up and chatting with guests. You’ll be able to spot him at various locations on the top of the WEB building.
Marvel Character Interaction
Naturally, character meet ‘n greets have been affected during this time of “physical distancing”. Fortunately guests can still meet and chat with favorite super heroes within Avengers Campus. Check the Disneyland app for show times. Here are some tips:
Doctor Strange: Mysteries of the Mystic Arts
Explore magical artifacts in the ruins of Doctor Strange’s Ancient Sanctum. Guests will train in the mystic arts alongside Doctor Strange, bringing the Sanctum to life with their powerful spells. Return in the evening to see how the area transforms with glowing colors and lights. The Orb of Cagliostro is said to be even more active after nightfall.
Warriors of Wakanda: The Disciplines of the Dora Milaje
Look for this training encounter by the Black Panther’s bodyguards, Dora Milaje. Members of this royal guard will train guests on the wisdom from Wakanda, lead by leader Okoye.
Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Dance Off!
Join Star-Lord and Gamora with a guest participation dance off along with the rockin’ classics from the movie series.
Which Super Heroes Will You See at Avengers Campus at Disneyland?
As has been proven already at Disney California Adventure park, the character meet ‘n greets with Marvel characters are popular. Lines to meet Captain Marvel, Spider-Man and Black Panther characters are consistently lengthy. Expect the same within Avengers Campus.
- Ant-Man and The Wasp (first time at Disneyland Resort)
- Iron Man in his new armor, the Mark 80 (seen for the first time at a Disney park)
- Captain Marvel
- Doctor Strange
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Black Widow
- Captain America
- Dora Milaje, the Black Panther’s bodyguards including Okoye in a Disney park debut
- Taskmaster, seen for the first time at a Disney park
- Black Panther
Dining in Avengers Campus
The food options at Disneyland parks have been getting more and more creative over the years. This has been proven at the recent festivals including the Disney California Food and Wine Festival. That said, I was really looking forward to dining at Avengers Campus!
There are multiple places to purchase food and drinks in Avengers Campus. Pym Test Kitchen (quick service dining) and the adjacent Pym Tasting Lab for beverages. In addition there are food carts, Shawarma Palace (two locations) and Terran Treats.
Avengers Campus Mobile Ordering
The mobile ordering system has changed across all of Disneyland. It’s now highly recommended to order through the Disneyland app mobile ordering system for all quick service meals. This can help eliminate long wait times in stand-by. Consider ordering all quick service restaurant meals via mobile ordering at the beginning of the day.
Pym Test Kitchen
Ant-Man and The Wasp have been testing pym particles to expand and shrink food. These are a few things to watch for:
- Mobile ordering is available at this location via the Disneyland app. Guests should wait until they have entered Avengers Campus to mobile order.
- There is additional stand-by ordering capability at this restaurant if you didn’t mobile order.
- In the ordering area, look up at the conveyor belt. It sends a regular pretzel through the quantum tunnel where it becomes enormous on the other side!
- Pym-ini, a panini sandwich on toasted focaccia with salami, rosemary ham, provolone, sun-dried tomato mayonnaise and arugula. Served by the slice along with marinara dipping sauce. Feeding a big group? Op for the long shareable family-sized sandwich, at $99.99!
- Dishes that feature Impossible brand meatless options. On the menu, the Impossible Spoonful pasta dish featuring plant-based Impossible “meatballs” that are both large and micro sized. Served in a giant spoon with a teeny-tiny fork!
- Giant soda cans and condiment bottles where guests will access their provisions.
- Breakfast options including Ever-Expanding Cinna-Pym Toast and Impossible Quantum Garden Breakfast.
- The “bite sized” Choco Smash CANDY Bar is a great sharable dessert. Compare it to the normal sized sandwich shown side-by-side! And it’s delicious, with layers of nougat, nuts, caramel, peanut butter and brownie wrapped in dark chocolate.
Look on the menu for the Not So Little Chicken Sandwich, a fried chicken breast with teriyaki and red chili sauces and pickled cabbage slaw. Check out the tiny bun! My son’s dish wasn’t quite “Instagram worthy” but important to see, as he requested everything on the side!
Pym Tasting Lab
Alongside the Pym Test Kitchen, is the Pym Tasting Lab for alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink “experiments”. Mobile ordering via the Disneyland app is also available here. Or choose to stand in the ordering line, which you can expect to be lengthy.
Watch for the reverse draft system in Pym Tasting Lab, where glasses will fill from the bottom up. Drinks and snacks to look for:
- Snack Molecules – Popped sorghum with mini pretzels and honey roasted peanuts
- X-Periment – Patrón Silver Tequila, Mango and Habanero Syrups, and Mango Popping Pearls
- Molecular Meltdown – Beer cocktail with Vanilla Ice Cream and topped with Miniature Marshmallows
- Honey Buzz – Plymouth Gin, Lemon Juice and Honey Syrup with a Honey Straw
- Particle Fizz – Endless Summer Hard Seltzer with Cherry Popping Pearls
- The Regulator – Patron Silver tequila, lime juice, habanero and mango syrup, Golden Road Mango Cart wheat ale. Mango flavored popping pearls as a garnish.
- NON-ALCOHOLIC – Proton PB&J Punch – Lemonade with flavors of strawberry and peanut butter.
- NON-ALCOHOLIC Pingo Doce – A distinctly green drink from Avengers lore. This not too sweet beverage has flavors of lemon-lime with vanilla and is a nice addition to the Coke Freestyle machines.
The Avengers favorite food, this cart serves hand-held chicken shawarma wraps with garlic sauce. An Impossible plant-based falafel wrap will also be available as a breakfast version. There are two locations, Shawarma Palace & Shawarma Palace Too (the latter, located near the Hyperion Theater). Stand-by service only.
This treat cart is located near the entrance of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Kids are going to LOVE these desserts so make a point of stopping. This cart offers stand-by service only.
Terran Treats offers the Sweet Spiral Ration, a warm pineapple flavored churro spiral. Delight in the chilled Cosmic Cream Orb with a crispy outer shell and whipped raspberry cheesecake mousse filling. Both were uniquely delicious!
Avengers Campus Merchandise
There are three merchandise locations inside Avengers Campus. WEB Suppliers store offers apparel, light goggles, web shooters and Spider-Bot toys. The outdoor Campus Supply Pod kiosk is where guests will find additional clothing, hats and other apparel. Collector’s Warehouse (located in the exit of Guardians of the Galaxy) is the final location with additional apparel, toys and comic books.
True to Disney, there are still plenty of great souvenirs that will be appropriate for younger kids. After battling Spider-Bots inside WEB SLINGERS, kids can take home their own battle-worthy companion. Interactive remote control Spider-Bots are sold alongside WEB tech tactical upgrades that change battle capabilities. These tactical upgrades are inspired by Black Panther, Iron Man, Black Widow, Ant-Man and The Wasp.
S.T.E.M. Compound kits encourage scientific exploration at home (including make your own webs or goo). Funko Pop! vinyl figurines are nice collectibles that kids enjoy as well. Backpacks for sale carry all the gear!
Do I Need to Watch the Marvel Movies to Appreciate Avengers Campus?
I’m going to come right out and say it. I’m not a huge “super heroes” fan. I’ve only watched a handful of the films and know some of the characters only in passing (this is not due to disinterest but a lack of time to catch up on movie watching!) But a new Land at Disneyland is always reason to celebrate!
So do you need to watch the Marvel movies to appreciate Avengers Campus? Probably not. But, in a way, maybe?
When Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opened, I stated that you didn’t really need to be a fan of the movies to enjoy this new Land. Does it help to have seen the movies and understand some of the plot lines? Yes, especially for Rise of the Resistance, when newer characters are in the attraction.
What about other immersive Disneyland areas, like Cars Land and Pixar Pier? Yes, these Lands stand alone but it also does help you “get” the attractions more when you’re invested in the characters. So yes again, having a familiarity with the movies does help.
No, you probably won’t need to have seen all of the Marvel movies to enjoy Avenger’s Campus. But having an understanding of plot lines might make the attractions more fun. So I think I need to etch out some “me time” to catch up on watching the Marvel movies in this order, as my friend Tania at Lola Lambchops suggests!
Is Avengers Campus Kid-Friendly?
I was one of the Disneyland regulars who lamented the demise of “a bug’s land”. This was a popular Land for us at Disney California Adventure, with rides my toddlers and preschoolers loved. Since “a bug’s land” left, there have been a few more attractions added to the park that are good for preschoolers at Disney. This includes the remake of King Triton’s Carousel into Jessie’s Critter Carousel and the addition of Inside Out themed Emotional Whirlwind (a re-skin of “a bug’s land” Flik’s Flyers).
But with a preschooler who is skittish on some rides and doesn’t meet the height requirement for others, I still struggle to find enough attractions for her at Disney California Adventure. As the mom of a young kid, I wondered if Avengers Campus will be kid-friendly.
Avengers Campus for Kids
WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure does not have any height requirements. For parents of young children, this is fantastic news. As helpful as Rider Swap is, it’s even better to be able to bring babies, toddlers and preschoolers onto the attractions with the rest of the family.
However the WEB SLINGERS ride could be a potentially scary Disneyland attraction for some kids. The attraction is slower moving but it does spin. The 3D effects of Spiderbots attacking paired with loud noises and peril could be frightening to younger kids. The ability to use your own hands to create webs and use them to destroy the robot spiders is awesome. Most children will enjoy this ride!
For kids who love super heroes, they are likely not to be disappointed with Avengers Campus. There are ample character sightings, a fun attraction and lots of photo opportunities throughout the land. Kid-friendly foods and treats round out Avengers Campus as an exciting new addition to Disney California Adventure park for families!