With three school-aged kids and a toddler, I do not have time for fancy meal prep in the morning. I have just a few minutes to whip up breakfast, throw together lunches, and get everyone in the car (hoping they all remembered to brush their teeth!) When it comes to preparing breakfasts and lunches for my 4 kids during back-to-school season, I’m looking for quick, healthy, tasty and fairly priced options.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Eckrich Deli Meat. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Back to School Breakfast and Lunches for Kids
Offering Eckrich Deli Meat gives my kids the lean protein they need. Eckrich Deli Meat is versatile for use in many breakfast and lunch recipes that kids love. Plus, it’s gluten-free and delicious! Eckrich helps me spend less time in the kitchen but still lets me offer a nutritious meal to my kids. And now I can find freshly sliced Eckrich Deli Meat at my local Walmart deli counter.
Back to School Breakfasts Made Easy
A breakfast prepared with lean protein will keep tummies full longer so that kids can focus in class before snack or lunch. So many breakfasts geared for kids are high in carbs and sugar and don’t offer the lean protein they need for muscle building. Skip the sugary cereals and offer the kids one of these quick breakfast meals to give them staying power for the morning and into the afternoon. Round out the meal with complex carbs (like whole grain toast or tortillas), fresh fruit and a glass of milk.
Breakfast with Dinner’s Leftovers
I tend to overcook certain foods at dinner the night before so I’ll have the leftovers to use in breakfast the following day. Foods like spinach, broccoli, chopped onions, mushrooms, black beans and potatoes go well with eggs the next morning. Or consider preparing breakfast the night before. Items like quiche or burritos can easily be pre-made and then warmed in the microwave.
- Ham, Egg and Cheese Open-Faced Sandwich- top toast with a fried egg, slice of Eckrich Ham and cheese.
- Potato Hash – cut leftover boiled potatoes into bite-sized cubes (remove peel first). Sauté in light oil with chopped onions, chopped Eckrich Ham and chopped green peppers until warm and crisped. Season with salt and pepper.
- Breakfast Pizza – smear tomato sauce onto a lightly toasted whole grain English muffin or slice of bread. Top with a thin slice of Eckrich Ham and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Broil for a few minutes (keep a close eye and pull out when the cheese starts to bubble and brown).
- Ham and Egg Tacos – fill a warm corn tortilla with scrambled eggs, Eckrich Chopped Ham, sautéed onions, black beans and salsa.
- Scrambled Eggs and Chopped Ham – if your kiddo doesn’t protest to veggies in the morning, consider adding in leftover cooked spinach, leftover cooked broccoli or top the cooked eggs with chopped tomatoes. My son liked his eggs sprinkled with green onion and Eckrich Virginia Baked Ham (has a slight sweetness and is baked to maintain the juicy flavor).
What if Your Kids Don’t Care for Eggs for Breakfast?
I was that kid growing up. I did not like eggs until I was an adult. There are still great ways to incorporate the protein and skip the eggs.
- Cottage cheese with sliced peaches and whole grain toast
- Greek yogurt with berries, sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey
- Whole grain English muffin with peanut butter, chia seeds and a bowl of cut melon
- Ham & Cheese Quesadilla – stuff a folded-over whole grain tortilla with thin-sliced Eckrich Virginia Baked Ham and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Cook in a saucepan with a pat of butter until cheese is melted. Cool, then cut with a rotary cutter into triangles. Serve with plain yogurt and salsa for dipping. This one is great for breakfast or lunch!
Back to School Lunches Prepared Fast and Healthy
- Deli Ham and Cheese Tortilla Roll-ups – smear a thin layer of mayo onto a flour tortilla, then layer with thinly sliced Eckrich Ham and deli-sliced cheese. Roll up then cut the tortilla into pinwheels.
- Cobb Salad with Ham – are my kids the only ones who like salads? Chop Eckrich Ham, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes and serve over a mix of chopped lettuces with crumbled Feta cheese. Serve with a vinaigrette or your kid’s favorite dressing, probably Ranch!
- Crackers, Ham & Cheese – my toddler loves this light meal she can eat with her fingers. Include sturdy crackers for kids to nibble alongside Eckrich Virginia Baked Ham and sliced cheddar cheese. Pair with fresh cut fruit on the side.
- Ham & Bean Burrito- smear a tortilla with a thin layer of low-fat refried beans. Lay thinly sliced Eckrich Ham on top then sprinkle with shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Microwave on a plate for 30 seconds then wrap in aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Pesto Pasta with Ham and Peas– the perfect cold salad for lunch! Combine cold, cooked pasta with chopped Eckrich Ham Off the Bone with cold, cooked peas. Stir in a dollop of pesto.
Which of these recipes are you going to try with Eckrich Deli Meats? Share in the comments!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Eckrich Deli Meat.