This article was originally published March 21st, 2019 and has been updated with new information and a new publication date.
Disneyland Food and Wine Festival with Kids
Does Disneyland have a Food and Wine Festival like one that’s held in Epcot at Disney World? While there are some similarities to that event, the Disney Food & Wine is different in many ways.
The annual Disneyland Food and Wine Festival is held inside Disney California Adventure park (not Disneyland itself). The event runs from March 4th through April 26st, 2022. It’s held on 54 consecutive days so you have plenty of opportunity if you’re visiting during springtime at Disneyland.
Read these tested tips for taking on the Disneyland Food and Wine with kids, with a focus on younger kids including toddlers and preschoolers! Get advice on how to best balance rides and attractions while still enjoying the Food & Wine event activities. This article will be updated with specifics for the 2022 event as they are released.
Quick Things to Know about the Disney Food & Wine Before You Go
Do You Need a Ticket for Disneyland Food and Wine Festival? The Disney California Food and Wine Festival is included in the admission ticket. To attend, each guest will need a valid park ticket or Park Hopper for Disney California Adventure park in order to experience the Food & Wine Festival.
Discounted Disneyland Tickets!
My travel partners at Get Away Today offer both discounted Disneyland tickets and Anaheim-area hotels to fit any budget! Many hotels include exclusive discounts like free parking, complimentary breakfast or even free nights, just for booking through Get Away Today.
Disneyland tickets purchased now are good through December 31st, 2023. We never know when Disney will increase prices so there’s always a potential savings of hundreds of dollars for families. Purchase your multi-day tickets through Get Away Today now.
When you’re ready to book your full Disneyland vacation, my friends at Get Away Today are ready to help! Mention code REWRITTEN to receive an extra discount off your SoCal vacation package of two or more days.
Is a reservation required? Yes, a separate theme park reservation is needed. Keep in mind that Park Hopping takes place after 1 pm. So if you have Disneyland as a starting park, you may not move over to Disney California Adventure with a Park Hopper until after 1:00 pm. Read these tips for more things to know about going to Disneyland this year.
Where is the Disneyland Food and Wine Festival Held? The Disney Food & Wine Festival dining and entertainment is located mostly in the Paradise Gardens area of Disney California Adventure park. This is where the Marketplace food and beverage kiosks are located.
The Festival Beer Garden is next to the Paradise Garden Grill. There is an additional Food & Wine Festival area, set away from the rest. Cooking demonstrations, a hands-on junior chef experience with Disney Junior Alice’s Wonderland Bakery and Chef Goofy meet ‘n greet take place on the Backlot Stage in Hollywood Land.
More Things to Know About Disneyland Food and Wine with Kids
- Is Disneyland Food and Wine Family Friendly? Yes, there is alcohol served at California Adventure & during the Food and Wine Festival held at the Disneyland Resort. However, this is still a family-friendly event & there are plenty of non-alcoholic options for kids to enjoy.
- When is the best time to go to Disneyland Food and Wine with Kids? The Disney California Food and Wine Festival can be particularly crowded during spring break. For lighter crowds, try a mid-week visit before spring break crowds hit the park. If you’re a Southern California resident, the SoCal Resident Ticket Offer offers a great discount for weekday only visits! Weekends may prove to be less busy, since this ticket deal doesn’t extend to Saturdays and Sundays.
- Do they have straws at Disneyland? Only paper straws are available at Disneyland parks, not plastic. If paper straws bother you, consider bringing your own disposable plastic straws. Sometimes the paper straw would get soft and soggy before we were done with the beverage. It was also tough to drink the thick ice cream shakes with the paper straw.
Is there a way to balance a day of eating and drinking at the Festival along with all the other fun things at Disney California Adventure? Absolutely! Keep reading for my itinerary of ideas, especially for families with toddlers and preschool-aged kids.
Benefits & Tips for Purchasing the Sip & Savor Pass
What is a Sip and Savor Pass? With the purchase of a Sip and Savor Pass, guests can enjoy 8 food or non-alcoholic drinks from the participating marketplace locations and inside Paradise Garden Grill.
To save time standing in line, plan out which items you’ll be ordering. You can purchase them all up front at a single marketplace register. Just be sure to hold on to your receipt. If you lose your receipt you can’t get your food, so put it in a safe place! Present it at the appropriate kiosk to receive your pre-ordered food or beverage.
The Sip & Savor Pass is only available for sale inside Disney California Adventure park. You’ll find them for sale at many locations around the park.
The Sip and Savor Pass comes on a lanyard so you can hang it around you neck and be hands-free for holding your festival treats! The Sip and Savor Pass also has the added benefit of a location guide. So great when you’re taking on Disneyland Food and Wine with kids and want to quickly find your menu favorites!
Note that you should NOT snap off your coupon tab until you’re ready to pay and the cast member at the register sees you do so. On that note, don’t hand over the Sip & Savor Pass to your toddler or preschooler, lest they snap off all your coupon tabs!
Cost of a Disney Sip and Savor Pass
Cost of a Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival Sip & Savor Pass for 2022 – price to be announced.
The cost of a Disney California Food & Wine Festival Sip and Savor Pass in 2020 was $56 (including tax) for regular park guests. Magic Key annual pass holders and Disney Visa cardholders receive an additional discount.
This means each item costs you an average of $7.00. Is the Sip and Savor Pass worth it? Yes, if you aim to only purchase treats that reach or exceed that number to get the best value from your Pass purchase. (ie: you’ll lose money choosing items cheaper than $7.00 with the Sip & Savor Pass).
Budget Tips for the Disney Food and Wine Festival with Kids
Foods and drinks during the Disney Food and Wine Festival aren’t cheap. If you’re on a budget at Disneyland, you’ll probably be better off sharing large platters of food (see this post about the Ways to Save Money on Food at Disneyland).
If you’re a foodie, this is the event for you. If your kids are adventurous eaters or you’re just looking for something different to do at the Disneyland California parks, the Food & Wine Festival definitely offers new fun! But can you do the event on a budget? Here are some tips:
If you have a Magic Key annual pass or a Disney Visa credit card, there’s a discount off the cost of the Sip & Savor Pass.
Try some of the limited-time offerings from both quick service and full service restaurants. These are dishes that are available only during the Food and Wine Festival. Keep reading for details on locations that include larger portioned dishes including Paradise Garden Grill. These plates are large enough to share and cost about the same as two of the appetizer-sized dishes available at the Marketplace.
No need to eat all the things in a single day! Magic Key annual pass holders or those with multi-day Disneyland tickets can purchase a Sip and Savor Pass then spread out the use of the coupons over multiple visits.
Disney Food and Wine Festival Activities for Young Kids
When you attend the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival, seek out some of the included family programming that’s perfect for younger children.
There isn’t as much for toddlers or preschoolers to do at the Disney Food & Wine Festival as there are at some of the other special events. However there have been improvements in recent years!
At Disneyland Food and Wine, there are craft tables set up in the Hollywood Land area (near the Jr. Chef stage). But the main Food & Wine Festival area is lacking for younger kids, who may become bored and just want to go on rides (more on that coming!).
What About the Junior Chef Offering for 2022?
The junior chef experience, held in the Hollywood Land area, has always been popular. This year it’s based upon the new animated series, “Alice’s Wonderland Bakery”. With the introduction of this Disney Junior themed offering, you can expect kids to go mad for this topsy-turvy new activity! Look for this several times daily (generally offered at 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 2:15 pm) throughout the festival.
Participation is only for kids aged 3-11. While toddlers and preschoolers won’t be able to decorate cupcakes in this complimentary offering, they might still enjoy watching. Advance sign-up registration 45 minutes before each show, so arrive early if you plan to participate with kids who fit the age criteria.
Tips for Taking Toddlers and Preschoolers
Menu items in 2022 are slightly less “kid-friendly” than in the past. I’ll share in the following sections which dishes appear to be best for children. Of course, guests can always make special requests like asking that cast members leave off certain toppings.
I’d love to see at least more small tables where children can sit with their foods. We had to resort to feeding my daughter at park benches or in the stroller because tables were adult standing-height only. Bring a stroller for young kids so they’ll have a place to sit.
The Paradise Garden Grill area does have tables and chairs so this is the ideal location for dining. In between the marketplace kiosks, you’ll need to find a bench to sit with your dish.
Little ones who like to dance to the music will appreciate the live entertainment during the Festival. There are three separate locations for kid-friendly music and fun.
- Paradise Garden Bandstand (in Paradise Gardens)
- Live Festival Music at Paradise Gardens Park (on Palisades Stage)
- Jammin’ Chefs (near Hollywood Land)
Chef Goofy Meet ‘n Greet
This special event Disney character meet ‘n greet with Chef Goofy is much appreciated for parents with younger kids! Goofy the Chef meets near the Backlot Stage in Hollywood Land.
For shorter lines, aim to meet before the stage shows as the crowds will increase after the show. Expect to see changes to this character meeting than in years’ past, including social distancing between guests and characters.
Six times a day the Jammin’ Chefs host a pop-up song & dance party in the Hollywood Land area. This is a move from the previous location near the Paradise Garden obelisk. The Jammin’ Chefs feature musicians, a singer/band leader and several dancers.
Chip & Dale are there to dance and encourage the crowd to clap and dance along! It’s a lively and loud show that little kids will love.
Show up a few minutes before the start of the show to get a front row view (check the Disneyland app for times). It’s all standing-room only and the crowd will quickly form a semi-circle around the group.
You’ll want to position your toddler or preschool towards the front so they can see all the action. This is a fun opportunity for preschoolers to dance and play alongside the characters!
Best Foods to Eat at Disneyland Food and Wine with Kids
Dishes offered during the Disney Food and Wine festival feature California flavors, including fresh citrus, local vegetables and a South of the Border influence. The Food and Wine Festival Tasting Passport has a handy key with notations for special dietary needs including gluten-friendly, vegetarian and vegan.
Also included are kid-friendly foods. Naturally you know your kids and what they’d enjoy. Take a glance at the Passport and review the images and descriptions ahead of time to see which dishes your kids would enjoy the most.
In 2019 I had the opportunity to visit the Disney California Food & Wine Festival on two separate occasions: once with only adults and then again with my almost-three year old daughter. I was able to taste several of the dishes and knew which ones my toddler would enjoy and which ones to skip.
There seemed to be fewer kid-friendly dishes and drinks in 2020. Some items that appear to be kid-friendly mentioned “slight traces of alcohol” which was disappointing. For 2022, dessert choices are fewer and some of the foods include spices or seasonings that might not be appealing to youngsters. I’ve chosen not to add alcoholic drinks to this list of dining options.
Menu of Disneyland Food and Wine with Kids
For 2022, here are some suggestions of festival foods that kids would enjoy. After my experience, I’ll add my thoughts on the items I tried.
California Craft Brews Marketplace
There is only food item sold at California Craft Brews (the rest of the menu is alcohol). The lines for this particular marketplace kiosk are incredibly long. Consider ordering this dish from another kiosk and then picking up to skip the long lines.
- IPA Sausage Dog – served on a soft pretzel roll with onion-pepper Jardinière, cheddar cheese sauce, and malt vinegar-jalapeño crunch.
Nuts About Cheese
When dining with young children, this is a great location for three kid friendly snacks.
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Mac – KID-FRIENDLY – topped with brown sugar streusel and strawberry crackle.
- Next Level Crackers & Cheese – KID-FRIENDLY – House-made herb crackers with white cheddar-infused fromage blanc, spicy prosciutto spread, and cherry jam.
- SNICKERS Caramel-Peanut Milk Chocolate Mickey Macaron – KID-FRIENDLY – Chocolate Mickey macaron filled with caramel ganache and SNICKERS pieces. This macaron is the knock-out must-have dessert for the 2022 Disney California Food and Wine festival. Consider buying more than one, because your kiddo will not want to share!
- Black & Tan Beef Potato Puffs – Karl Strauss Wreck Alley stout gravy and lager micro sponge.
- Cubano Slider – KID-FRIENDLY – Slow-roasted mustard-crusted pork and sliced smoked ham with melted swiss cheese and slice of pickle served on a Hawaiian roll. If your kid likes mustard, give this a try!
- Central California Cooler (Non-Alcoholic) – KID-FRIENDLY – Peach, apple, orange, and lemon juice.
More Festival Marketplace Locations
- California Artisan Cheese Selection – Habanero Jack and TomaProvence.
- Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch – KID-FRIENDLY – Chocolate-hazelnut mousse topped with chocolate-hazelnut glaze and a gold leaf.
Golden Dreams Marketplace
- Honey-Orange-glazed Salmon Salad – with citrus vinaigrette.
- Mango-Carrot Gazpacho – with grilled shrimp and jalapeño crema.
- Glazed BBQ Pork Belly – with furikake-togarashi mac salad.
- Gyro-inspired Flatbread featuring Impossible Ground Beef – with chipotle hummus, tzatziki and spiced crispy chickpeas.
More Food and Wine Festival Foods with Preschoolers and Kids
You kind-of can’t go wrong with the Food & Wine Festival dessert options with kids! There aren’t as many in 2022 as in years’ past, but these still sound delicious. Look outside the marketplace section and towards some of the quick service dining and food carts for additional sweet treats.
- Strawberry Cheesecake with lemon Chantilly
- Blueberry-Buttermilk Pie
Peppers Cali-Ente Marketplace
- Chile Relleno Empanada – served with arbol pepper salsa and Oaxaca and Cotija cheeses.
- Ají de Gallina – Spicy yellow chile creamed chicken with jasmine rice and olive tapenade.
Avocado Time Marketplace
- Frozen Guacamole – Avocado paleta with lime crema, pico de gallo, and chile-lime seasoning.
- Petite Impossible™ Burger with Guac and Pepper Jack (Vegetarian) – KID-FRIENDLY – Before you balk at this “non-meat” option, know that I tried it and it was amazing! If you didn’t tell the kids it’s not meat, they would have no idea. The texture and taste is just like beef and the buttery bun is delicious. Great savory option for older kids.
Kid-Friendly Options at Disneyland’s Food & Wine
- Carbonara Garlic Mac & Cheese with Peppered Bacon – KID-FRIENDLY – The garlic mac & cheese version has been a longtime favorite dish for the Food & Wine Festival! I was able to sneak a few bites of this creamy and delicious macaroni dish before my took the rest as her own. It does have a strong garlic flavor so keep that in mind (didn’t bother my kid). For picky kids, you could request crumbles not be sprinkled on top.
- Grilled Top Sirloin – with roasted garlic-Gruyère smashed potatoes and black garlic chimichurri.
I Heart Artichokes Marketplace
- Chicharron-crusted Fried Artichoke Dip – drizzled with smoked pepper crema and Oaxaca cheese.
- Artichoke Toast with Olive Tapenade (Vegetarian)– Toasted sliced baguette with artichoke cream cheese, topped with olive & artichoke tapenade and drizzled with olive oil.
Hint from my friend Mindy at This Fairy Tale Life: This marketplace will likely have the lowest crowds. Consider placing your food order here as the lines are likely to be low.
- Ranch Fried Chicken Wings with Buffalo Hot Sauce Drizzle
- French Onion Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider – this new dish was a highlight from 2020 and returns for 2022.
- Blackberry-Lavender Lemonade (Non-Alcoholic) – KID-FRIENDLY – Blackberry, pineapple juice, lavender syrup, and lemon juice.
More Kid-Friendly Foods at Disney Food & Wine
Some of the quick service restaurants and vending carts are also serving up Disney Food and Wine Festival dishes. Some of these options are available as a Sip & Savor sampler dish that’s a smaller portion. I’ve noted below which items are available with the Sip & Savor Pass. Save time by taking advantage of mobile ordering when available at these quick service locations!
Smokejumpers Grill (mobile order)
This is a great dining option for families, with two festival items that children will likely enjoy. Plenty of outdoor patio seating here as well as other regular menu items.
Pepperoni Pizza Slider – KID-FRIENDLY – Angus beef and pork sausage patty, pepperoni, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and fried pepperoni served on a ciabatta slider roll. Remove the pepperoncini for kids who don’t like the extra spice. (available with Sip & Savor Pass)
Peach-Blueberry Lemonade with blueberry flavor-filled boba (Non-Alcoholic) – KID-FRIENDLY – Kids love sipping boba, this beverage is sure to be a hit! (available with Sip & Savor Pass)
Paradise Garden Grill (mobile order)
Allergy-friendly options are available for most dishes for those looking for healthy food at Disneyland. Note that not all the dishes available during the festival here use the Sip & Savor Pass. Expect those entrees to be a large portion size.
- Brisket Fries – KID-FRIENDLY – French fries topped with shredded smoked BBQ brisket, cheddar cheese sauce, pico de gallo, chipotle crema, and green onions. The Sip and Savor sized portion is a great value and still appropriate for sharing. Salty and savory with lots of meat (ask for the green toppings on the side for picky kids). (available for Sip & Savor Pass).
- Char Siu Ribs – KID-FRIENDLY – Chinese-inspired grilled pork ribs with steamed rice and almond-cabbage salad (available for Sip & Savor Pass).
- Impossible Gyro – Seasoned plant-based meat served in pita bread with dairy-free tzatziki, seasoned tomatoes, cucumber, and onions.
- Jerk Chicken Caribbean-inspired half chicken – with mango-pineapple salsa served with black beans, white rice, and fried plantains.
- Beer-battered Fish Tacos – KID-FRIENDLY – for seafood-loving kiddos, this one is a great savory meal choice and it comes with tortilla chips (available for Sip & Savor Pass).
- Strawberry Shortcake – KID-FRIENDLY -Pound cake with fresh strawberries and mascarpone crème (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
More Dining Locations for Food & Wine Festival
Pym Test Kitchen and Pym Tasting Lab (mobile order)
This Avengers Campus quick service restaurant joins the Disneyland Food & Wine Festival for the first time! Mobile ordering will save time in line at these popular dining locations.
Elote Pretzel: Five-ounce pretzel topped with corn three ways, cilantro sprigs, radish, cotija, and flavored crema. For kids who don’t want all the toppings, consider the menu option Quantum Pretzel.
Snack Molecules – KID-FRIENDLY – Mini pretzels, honey-roasted peanuts, and popped sorghum with spring flavors.
Raspberry Spiral Ration – KID-FRIENDLY – Yellow strawberry spiral churro with berry compote (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
Paradise Gardens Food Cart
- Pretzel Bites with beer cheese sauce – KID-FRIENDLY – (available with Sip & Savor Pass)
- Berry Cotton Candy – KID-FRIENDLY
Redwood Creek Churro Cart
Maple Bacon Churro – KID-FRIENDLY – Cinnamon sugar, maple icing, and crumbled bacon (available with Sip & Savor Pass)
Soup & Sandwich – Old World Aged White Cheddar Lager Soup with a toasted fig and prosciutto sandwich (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
Pacific Wharf Cafe
Avocado Toast – Smashed avocado on toasted sourdough bread, fire-roasted cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, cilantro, and balsamic reduction (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
Strawberry Horchata (Non-Alcoholic) – KID-FRIENDLY – House-made rice and cinnamon beverage with strawberry sauce (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
Lucky Fortune Cookery
Mushroom Bao – Hoisin-glazed mushrooms, Asian slaw, and jalapeño in a steamed bao (available with Sip & Savor Pass).
Disney California Food and Wine Festival Activities for Older Kids
Once inside the Food & Wine Festival area, grab a Food and Wine Festival Tasting Passport. This guide includes photographs of some of the tastings and a map with key to find the kiosks. Inside the Passport are descriptions about what food and drink are to be found at each of the marketplace locations.
Older kids may enjoy keeping a hold of the Passport to direct you where to find the next treat. You can also request a special stamp inside the Passport from each Marketplace location to keep track of where you’ve visited.
Get Hands On with Cupcake Decorating!
The highlight of the Disney California Food and Wine Festival for kids is the Jr. Chef experience. Kids aged 3-11 can participate in this complimentary activity (located on the stage inside Hollywood Land area).
New for 2022, kids can decorate cupcakes during Alice’s Wonderland Bakery Unbirthday Party. This festival experience is hosted live by “Rolly Pin” and two of the animated characters, Alice & Princess Rosa.
- Available for children aged 3-11 years old.
- This experience is generally offered at 12:00 PM, 1:00 PM, 2:15 pm daily (check the Disneyland app for exact details).
- The hands-on activity is complimentary and included in park admission.
- Guests may sign up their kids 45 minutes prior to each show time. This is a popular activity, expect a crowd.
- Watch for an appearance by Minnie Mouse!
Enjoy a Cooking Demonstration
Tweens and teens who are particularly interested in culinary arts will enjoy the once daily “family time” cooking demonstrations. These happen on Saturday and Sunday during the Festival. Families can watch a meal prepared with tips by Disney chefs and invited guests.
What to Bring for Kids
As mentioned, there are minimal craft tables and some age-appropriate entertainment for kids to enjoy. But what can kids do while you’re eating and drinking through the marketplace or watching a culinary show? Here are a few fun suggestions on entertainment options for children:
- Play games on the Disney Parks app. Purchase a Fuel Rod portable phone charger ahead of your trip. Swap in the park for a new fully-charged battery!
- Pack the World of Disney Eye Found It, a compact card game to play anywhere.
- In between the marketplace kiosks and rides, search for the Hidden Mickeys of Disneyland.
- Older kids will enjoy Mickey Mouse Mad Libs, the classic word game. There are other versions including Toy Story, Avengers and Star Wars.
Finding a Balance at the Food & Wine Festival with Kids
The grown-ups want to relax in the Festival Beer Garden with a local brew or wine flight. But all the kids want to do is get on the rides! How do you find that balance of Disneyland fun in between enjoying the Food and Wine Festival? I’ve come up with an itinerary for the Disneyland Food and Wine with kids that satisfies both parents and youngsters!
The Disneyland Food and Wine Festival Marketplace locations serving food and drinks don’t open until 10:30 am. This gives you plenty of time in the morning to do rides with the kids before the food kiosks even open. Rope drop is essential as families can get a lot done in the first two hours at Disneyland theme parks!
If you have your toddler or preschooler at Disney California Adventure park, aim to enjoy the following rides and attractions first thing in the morning. Use Disney Genie+ when needed later in the day:
- WEB SLINGERS in Avengers Campus area (no height restriction)
- Toy Story Midway Mania! in Pixar Pier area (no height restriction)
- Pixar Pal-a-Round in Pixar Pier area (no height restriction)
- Jessie’s Critter Carousel in Pixar Pier area (no height restriction)
- Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind in Pixar Pier area (no height restriction)
- Radiator Springs Racers in Carsland (40″ height requirement)
- Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters in Carsland (32″ height requirement)
- Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree in Carsland (32″ height requirement)
- Monsters Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue! (located in Hollywood Land, no height restriction)
- RETURNING for a limited time during the 2022 Festival – Soarin’ Over California (located in Grizzly Peak area, 40″ height requirement)
What to Do in Marketplace at Disneyland Food and Wine with Kids
Once the Marketplace opens at 10:30 am, consider ordering all of your food at one kiosk to save time. Then you can walk to each location and pick up your foods and drinks when you’re ready to eat. In between the Marketplace kiosks, there are rides and attractions so you aren’t just eating everything at once.
The marketplace kiosks feature adorable moving parts. While waiting in line with kids, point out these signs and have them point out their favorite features!
Most of these rides and attractions are in the Festival area. Try working these attractions in between dining and drinking so that kids aren’t missing out and grown ups can still enjoy the Marketplace.
- Golden Zephyr (located in Festival area, no height restriction)
- Goofy’s Sky School (located next to entrance of Festival Beer Garden, 42″ height requirement)
- Jumpin’ Jellyfish (located across from entrance of Festival Beer Garden, 40″ height requirement)
- Grizzly River Run (42″ height requirement)
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (no height restriction)
- The Little Mermaid – Ariel’s Undersea Adventure (located in Festival area, no height restriction)
- Disney Junior Dance Party! (in Hollywood Land, near the demonstration stage, no height restriction)