What is no-churn ice cream? It’s a simple and delicious way to make ice cream at home with minimal ingredients and unique results! Get the 75 no-churn ice cream recipes and start making your own delightful freezer desserts using these tips.
No-Churn Ice Cream Recipes
My good friend introduced me to making no-churn ice cream recipes. I’d never heard of the method and decided to try it at home with my family. I mean, could it really be as easy as she says? Mix, toss in add-ins and freeze?
Yes, it’s really that easy! And with just a few ingredients we’ve been able to enjoy delicious frozen treats at home without the cost of store-bought.
When you make ice cream from scratch you’ll know exactly what ingredients goes into your homemade ice cream. The hardest part is making it ahead and waiting for the ice cream to be ready (it takes at least 5 hours to fully harden). Who needs Ben & Jerry’s when you have this awesome round up of recipes, collected from some of my favorite blogger friends.
What You Need for These Ice Cream Recipes
Forget the ice cream maker when creating these recipes! Only a few ingredients are required to make your own no-churn ice cream recipes at home. But these are the must-have items to put it all together.
- KitchenAid Mixer works the best because the machine does all the hard work. A high-powered hand mixer will work as well. Chill the bowl in the freezer for about 10 minutes before beginning to whip cream.
- A food processor for prepping mix ins can be helpful.
- Freezer safe storage containers (read on for my recommendations).
Storage Containers for the Freezer
Many of the recipes call for storing ice cream into a freezer safe loaf pan. The ice cream tends to get really hard inside of a loaf pan. If you use this you’ll need to remove from the fridge about ten minutes before serving. A regular loaf pan is fine but I found an even better storage container for your homemade no-churn ice cream.
I found these Tovolo brand freezer containers that are made just for ice cream storage! BPA-free plastic that is easy to clean and doesn’t transfer any odd flavors. They are also stackable in the freezer so you can prepare more than one batch.
- The Tovolo Glide-A-Scoop Ice Cream Tub has a non-slip base and double-walls that won’t make ice cream overly hard. In most cases, the tub holds the entire recipe of no-churn ice cream.
- My kids love eating their ice cream from these Tovolo Mini Sweet Treats Tubs. At a petite 6 oz., this is a perfect amount of ice cream for younger kids (or anyone monitoring their intake!)
Ingredients for No-Churn Ice Cream
No churn ice cream will be smooth and creamy with a rich flavor and the same texture as store bought brands. Some of the recipes included here have a cooking step in which eggs are used to make a custard.
Most of these no-churn ice cream recipes start with the same two ingredient base – sweetened condensed milk and heavy whipping cream. A few of the recipes sub in coconut milk instead of sweetened condensed milk. Or try one of the dairy-free ice cream recipes that swaps in frozen bananas.
Rules to Making Ice Cream Without Churning
- No, you can’t substitute regular milk or half & half for the heavy cream. The cream will give the ice cream the texture, flavor and thickness.
- The sweetened condensed milk will offer a sweetness you won’t get from plain condensed milk (and don’t confuse this with evaporated milk, which also comes in a can!).
- Heavier mix-in ingredients may sink to the bottom. Try stirring them into the base 2 hours after freezing to keep them more dispersed throughout.
- Use cold whipping cream straight from the fridge for best results. Place your mixing bowl and storage containers in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to chill them before prep.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer about 10 minutes before scooping. The no-churn ice cream may be very hard straight out of the freezer. Use a sturdy ice cream scoop.
- Some large pieces of fruit will be hard and difficult to eat. Consider cooking ahead to soften, mashing the pieces or turning into puree before mixing in the ice cream base.
More Things to Know About No Churn Ice Cream
- To prevent freezer burn, cover the ice cream with a layer of plastic wrap before placing the lid on the container.
- Without the stabilizers and preservatives, homemade ice cream will melt faster than store bought.
- Aim to eat your homemade ice cream within two weeks for best freshness and to avoid ice crystals. However properly frozen, it can last up to several months.
- Get creative with your base! The initial ingredients are just the tip of the ice cream cone, so to speak. As Mighty Mrs. explains Easy Homemade Ice Cream can be designed as you wish. Now, on to the recipes!
Ice Cream for Chocolate Lovers
Chocolate-flavored ice cream is always a favorite! These recipes take chocolate to a new level! No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip is a classic. This one from Crumbs & Corkscrews uses peppermint extract and dark chocolate for an over-the-top dessert.
- The Unlikely Baker Chocolate Strawberry No-Churn Ice Cream uses roasted strawberries that are blended into a puree.
- Chocolate cake batter and dark chocolate chunks combine beautifully in this recipe from Love Bakes Good Cakes for Chocolate Cake Batter Ice Cream.
- Looking for simple chocolate? Try The Kitchen is My Playground Chocolate Ice Cream with just three ingredients.
- Combine chocolate, caramel and marshallow fluff for the win! Crumbs & Corkscrews offers this kid-pleasing Chocolate Marshmallow Swirl Ice Cream. (image shown earlier in article)
- This recipe for Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from The Rustic Foodie can be made gluten-free, depending upon which type of cookies you use (photo show in previous section).
- This Dark Chocolate Raspberry No Churn Ice Cream from My Kitchen Love uses fresh berries in this a rich dessert.
- For a mocha flavor, stir in chocolate chunks into this No Churn Coffee Ice Cream from Fresh April Flours.
Creative and Delicious Ice Creams
The beauty about making your own no-churn ice cream flavors is how creative you can be with the ingredients. Three Olives Branch No Churn Strawberry Basil Ice Cream combines the sweet fruit and savory herb into a unique pairing that works!
- Earl Gray Tea Infused No-Churn Ice Cream? This recipe from Fearless Dining is sweet with a hint of spice from the popular tea flavor.
- Who needs pumpkin pie when you can make this No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream from West Via Midwest!
- The tangy combination of cream cheese and tropical fruit are a hit in this No Churn Cheesecake and Pineapple Ice Cream from Cheesecake It Is!
- Delicious Not Gorgeous Ginger Rose Ice Cream combines rosewater and ground ginger for a spicy and floral combination.
- Potatoes in ice cream? Food Meanderings has me intrigued with this recipe for Cookies n’ Creamers Potato Ice Cream.
Fresh and Fruity No-Churn Ice Cream Recipes
All the fruits, all the time. Use fresh seasonal fruit or frozen all year ’round. Sweet, tart and tangy. This Cherry Ice Cream from Caroline’s Cooking screams summer.
- If you crave tangy and fruity, you’ll have to try this Raspberry Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream from Cheesecake It Is!
- Enjoy the vanilla and blackberry swirl in this recipe from Syrup and Biscuits for Blackberry Crush No-Churn Ice Cream.
- Delicious on a Dime Peach Ice Cream takes advantage of this sweet summertime fruit in a delightful peachy puree.
- Make your own edible sundae bowls with this recipe for Fresh Mango Ice Cream from Art From My Table.
- Homemade Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Brooklyn Active Mom includes bits of strawberry with the crunch of graham crackers.
- This sweet and tart Blueberry No-Churn Ice Cream from My Organized Chaos is a great way to take advantage of an overabundance of seasonal fruits!
Ice Cream Flavors That Make You Feel Like a Kid Again!
Nothing like licking an ice cream cone to make you feel young again. These recipes are perfect for children (or those who love sweet and whimsical flavors!) Try Cooking on the Front Burners No Churn Birthday Cake Ice Cream. The no-churn ice cream recipe uses yellow cake mix and sprinkles to give an authentic cake flavor.
- Did you ever eat ice cream straight from the container? Relive your childhood with this healthier version of Cherry Garcia Ice Cream from An Edible Mosaic.
- Sundae Cone Dream No-Churn Ice Cream from Cooking With Carlee is a fantastical combination of caramel dulce de leche, hot fudge, chocolate chips and cone bits.
- Fresh April Flours No Churn Peanut Butter Ripple Ice Cream is an irresistible blend of peanut butter ice cream with swirls of melted pb chips throughout.
- Mint Oreo Ice Cream was the first no-churn flavor I made. This recipe from Baked makes it easy to recreate on your own!
- The Flavor Bender offers up this wild No Churn Galaxy Ice Cream with a mixed berry and lemon flavor that uses no food coloring – only natural fruit puree!
Candied Ice Cream Classics
Pieces of candy woven through the ice cream is such a yummy treat! Create a buzz with No Churn Honeycomb Ice Cream from Effortless Foodie. This one includes both chocolate coated honeycomb candy with white chocolate chips.
- Toasted marshmallows. Chocolate chunks. Graham cracker crumbles. Must be that campfire classic! This No Churn S’mores Ice Cream recipe comes from Mommy Kat and Kids.
- Life Currents Blog Coffee Toffee Ice Cream uses a candy bar mix-in to customize flavors to your liking.
- The classic chocolate and peanut butter combination blends with ice cream in this No Churn Peanut Butter Cup recipe from The Rustic Foodie.
Tropical Delight Ice Cream Flavors
Dream of the tropics with these fresh flavors inspired by the islands. My friend Marcie at Hawaii Travel With Kids shares this No Churn Homemade Mango Ice Cream Recipe that incorporates both mango puree and fresh fruit chunks.
- Be transported to white sandy beaches with this Pina Colada No Churn Ice Cream from Three Olives Branch (image shown earlier in article).
- For ease, Flavor Mosaic Pineapple Ice Cream uses canned crushed pineapple.
- Not to be confused with Dole Whip, this Simple Homemade Pineapple Ice Cream recipe from Hawaii Travel With Kids is creamy and versatile.
- With no added sugar, this Mango Lime Nice Cream from Eat Plant Based can be ready in a quick ten minutes!
- No-Churn Papaya Mango Ice Cream from Powered by Mom is the ideal staycation treat when you’re dreaming of a tropical vacation.
Special Diet Ice Creams
Dairy-free, low carb, Keto or sugar free? Everyone can enjoy ice cream this summer when they prepare one of these treats that are perfect for special diets. The Cookie Dough Diaries offers this Dairy-Free Pumpkin Ice Cream for a hint of fall flavor anytime.
- Vegan Dairy-Free Chocolate Ice Cream from Veggie Inspired uses ripe, frozen bananas in the base for a creamy and delicious texture.
- Kefir Ice Cream from Champagne Tastes is a tart and refreshing non-dairy version.
- From Bless My Food by Payal, this Vegan Tender Coconut Ice Cream is just five ingredients for a satisfying tropical treat.
- Love the tart and sweet combo of cherries and chocolate? Check out this No Churn Cherry and Cacao Nib Ice Cream! This low carb and sugar free treat comes from Recipes from a Pantry.
- No-Churn Homemade Peach Ice Cream by Whole Food Bellies is both vegan and sugar free so it can be enjoyed by the entire family.
- Faithfully Gluten Free shares this No-Churn Peppermint Ice Cream that will put you in a holiday mood! Gluten free candy canes and mint extract give you the perfect seasonal flavor.
- The Belly Rules the Mind Vegan Mango Coconut Ice Cream swaps in coconut milk and maple syrup for a fresh and fruity flavor.
- Keto Butter Pecan Ice Cream from Oh So Foodie is only 1g net carbs, so it’s okay to indulge and still stay on track!
Cookie Ice Cream Classics
Yes, the classic chocolate sandwich cookie is a tasty cookies ‘n cream. But look beyond the traditional with some of these other cookie-filled desserts. Life’s Ambrosia Cookie Butter Ice Cream is a spiced cookie delight with the addition of both cookie butter and crumbled Biscoff or gingersnap cookies.
- Syrup and Biscuits Peach Cobbler No-Churn Ice Cream is ice cream making even easier with pie filling and shortbread cookies.
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream from In the Kitch has the added sundae addition of crumbled shortbread cookies, whipped cream and strawberry sauce.
- Love ice cream and cookies? Then you have to try this Easy Cookie Dough Ice Cream from Well If She Can Do It.
- Can’t forget the ice cream classic! Try this No Churn Oreo Ice Cream by Salt and Baker using traditional Oreos or swap in the mint flavor for a twist.
Flavors for Fall
So what if the weather is cool, it’s always a good time for ice cream! These fall-inspired flavors and no-churn ice cream recipes are a delight.
- Pumpkin with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg – bring on fall! This In the Kitch Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream goes beyond Halloween.
- Fearless Dining No-Churn Caramel Ice Cream is made with vanilla bean paste for a richer flavor.
- Espresso and chocolate combine in this amped-up Coffee Chocolate Chip no churn ice cream flavor from The Unlikely Baker
- This Easy Homemade Pumpkin Ice Cream from Confessions of an Overworked Mom use both pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice for a true fall flavor.
Ice Cream Flavors That Kids Will Love!
Kids will adore the bright colors and punchy flavors of these no-churn ice cream recipes. From The Toasty Kitchen, No Churn Unicorn Ice Cream is the perfect party ice cream. It’s a rainbow dream with light citrus flavors and lots of cheerful sprinkles, of course!
- No-Churn Superman Jello Swirl Ice Cream from Love Bakes Good Cakes is a fun and colorful version that uses powdered Jell-O for a fruity flavor.
- Love Creamsicles? This quick Orange Ice Cream from Christina’s Cucina offers that creamy orange vanilla flavor.
- Calling all Harry Potter fans! Food Meanderings has this offering for No Churn Butterbeer Ice Cream inspired by the book and movie series.
- Birthday Cake No Churn Ice Cream from Cooking with Carlee offers a whimsical rainbow scoop in a bowl!
- Cookies and cream is one of my favorites. And my children too! Recreate the classic Cookies & Cream No Churn Ice Cream Recipe from The Kitchen is My Playground.
Ice Cream with Fruit Chunks
For anyone who appreciates fruit, these no churn ice cream flavors include big chunks of fresh fruit to melt in your mouth. Strawberry Crumble No-Churn Ice Cream from Powered by Mom gets its yummy crunch from a granola mix in!
- Use either fresh or frozen berries to create this delightful pink-hued Blackberry No Churn Ice Cream Recipe, by Reuse Grow Enjoy.
- Rich and extravagant, try this Dulce de Leche Ice Cream with Cherry Compote from Kopiaste.
- No Churn Vanilla with Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb from Good Life Eats is a sweet and tangy combination that includes yogurt.
- Love creamy cold vanilla mixed with fresh peaches? Gotta try this Peaches ‘n Cream Ice Cream from Swirls of Flavor!
Nutty and Delicious No Churn Ice Cream
Chunky and flavorful, these no-churn flavors are packed with nuts. For nut and caramel lovers this No-Churn Bourbon Pecan Caramel Ice Cream from Cooking on the Front Burners is a rich and decadent treat!
- Almond Nougat Ice Cream from Life Currents Blog is for nut-lovers! This no-churn ice cream recipe uses honey instead of condensed milk to sweeten the base.
- Butter pecan is one of my favorites and this No Churn Butter Pecan Ice Cream from The Toasty Kitchen is filled with candied nuts (image shown earlier in article).
Summer Classic Flavors
The best flavors of summer time, all in a perfect icy treat! Well If She Can Do It Pink Lemonade Ice Cream uses Kool-Aid as the “secret ingredient” to getting the irresistible sweet and tart lemon flavor.
- Mango Ice Cream Recipe by Bless My Food by Payal uses fresh mango for a bright and refreshing summertime dessert.
- Simple and delicious, top this Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream recipe from Healthy Sweet Eats with fresh fruit – or enjoy straight up!
- Perfectly refreshing on a hot day, try Christina’s Cucina recipe for Lemon Ice Cream.
- Traditional Vanilla Ice Cream is a freezer-must have for summer time. Keep this recipe from Spice Up the Curry on hand, along with toppings for any anytime treat!
Looking for More Recipe Roundups?
This collection of Brunch Recipes varies from sweet and savory meals and includes beverages and cocktails.
Bring on the fiesta with these authentic Mexican Food Recipes including classic dishes and new-to-you meals.
For treats to share at the next Holiday Cookie Exchange, there are over 100 cookies, bites, bars and brownies.