Cue the magical ballet score for these charming Nutcracker party ideas! This holiday party has a Nutcracker theme which is appropriate for Christmas time or birthday parties. Find out how to decorate, what to serve and Nutcracker-themed party activities for kids.
I have received free product in exchange for this sponsored article by @apogeeagency. All thoughts and opinions are my own. #CottonCandyHoliday #ad
Nutcracker Party Ideas
Love The Nutcracker ballet? This is the perfect theme for a party during the holiday season! Throw a Nutcracker themed party before watching The Nutcracker ballet on stage, as a Christmas party or for a December birthday party.
The Nutcracker is a great theme because of it’s charming appeal to children. Clara’s Nutcracker and toy soldiers come to life and battle with mice. The Land of the Sweets offers vibrant dances, led by the Sugar Plum Fairy.
And who could forget the gorgeous music from Tchaikovsky’s ballet! The music of The Nutcracker is easily one of my most favorite scores, it’s stunningly beautiful to listen to.
Bring the theater stage to your party table and create a fun event that will delight. It’s easy to add fun detail to your Nutcracker Christmas party using these simple at-home ideas!
Setting a Magical Party Table
Create your own Land of Sweets with a plethora of delightful treats! Choose a color palette to match the ethereal mood of the ballet. I went with a mix of pastel colors and a pop of vibrant red for my themed table of sweet treats.
Before purchasing items for your gathering check with the Christmas decorations you already have on hand. Many holiday decorations can match this Nutcracker party theme with minimal additions. Look in stores for Christmas tree decorations that fit this fun theme. Here are some easy ideas for setting a Nutcracker party table:
- Table covering – An inexpensive roll of wrapping paper makes an ideal table runner.
- Fairy lights – These ethereal wired lights are battery operated. Wrap around branches or weave between party platters.
- Cake stands – Add a variety of heights to your table setting by using cake stands to display décor and treats.
- Tea lights – Add a little table sparkle with battery operated tea lights. Using clear glass votive candle holders, paint the outer rim with craft glue. Roll the glass into a tray of glitter and allow to dry.
- Plate chargers – A silver or gold plate charger adds elegance to the table setting.
Fluffs of Fun with Cotton Candy
What is a both decoration and treat at the same time? Cotton candy! The spun sugar confection is the perfect touch to this Nutcracker party and I’ve used it in a variety of ways here.
Using the Cotton Candy Express at-home machine, I made cotton candy to decorate a variety of my party treats. Floss sugar is available in cherry, blue raspberry and grape.
Cotton Candy Machine makes the perfect holiday gift for families. Order by December 18th, the last day of holiday shipping!
Cotton Candy Punch – Combine ginger ale and cranberry juice into a glass. Add a straw that’s been topped with a ball of cotton candy fluff! Keep reading for additional ways to use Cotton Candy Express with these Nutcracker party ideas.
Nutcracker Dessert Table
Set out these additional sweets to round out your treat table for a Nutcracker themed party:
- Hot chocolate bar – Supply hot cocoa along with mix-ins, like candy cane sticks, marshmallows, whipped cream and cotton candy.
- Powdered donuts
- Layered pudding parfaits – Strawberry and pistachio pudding, layered into parfait cups. Top with cotton candy…yum!
- Sugar Cookies – Frost, then add a swirl of cotton candy to the top!
- Krispy Treats – Drizzled with white chocolate and decorated with colored sprinkles.
- Gingerbread cake with whipped cream
- Cake pop – Set these treats on a bed of cotton candy fluff!
- Cupcakes – Add a puff of cotton candy to the top and finish with Nutcracker cupcake toppers.
More Themed Treats and Eats
Round out the desserts with additional bites and savory foods. I’ve made suggestions for both meals and snacks with these Nutcracker party ideas:
- Nutcracker trail mix – Combine your choice of nuts with yogurt covered raisins, snowflake shaped pretzels and dried cranberries.
- White cheddar popcorn
- Cheese and crackers – Create a cheese ball rolled in chopped dried cranberries and served with a cracker platter.
- Fruit tray – Serve a variety of melons and berries, cut into star shapes or scooped into balls.
- Sandwich wreath ring – Position croissant sandwiches into a circle, decorating with parsley sprigs and dried cranberries. Then add a bow on top to represent a wreath!
Nutcracker Party Activities
Get into the spirit with these activities that are ideal for happy holidays! Both boys and girls will enjoy these themed events that add joy to the party atmosphere:
- Photo Op – Set up a back drop for a lovely photo opportunity with party guests. Have kids pose like a ballet dancer in front of festive balloon garlands.
- Cut paper snowflakes
- Paint Your Own Nutcracker – Purchase unfinished wooden nutcrackers to paint as a party activity. Consider bundling acrylic paint with a nutcracker for party guests to take home as party favors.
- Decorate gingerbread houses
- Candy Cane Ribbon Wand – A simple wooden dowel, swivel eye loop and silky ribbon is all it takes to make a ribbon wand. Play the Nutcracker ballet music and let the kids dance and twirl!
- Read a Nutcracker picture book
- Make a Christmas ornament
- Watch Disney’s The Nutcracker movie
Looking for More Party Ideas?
Check out these additional ideas for parties to host at home with your family!
Elf on the Shelf Breakfast – A lively North Pole brunch to welcome the annual return of your family elf each holiday season.
Birthday party at home – Throw a fabulous party at home with these budget-friendly tips!
Back to School Breakfast – Welcome the back-to-school season with these fun ideas to kick off the new school year.