When my husband and I were first dating we went out places, dined in restaurants and went to the movies. Now that we’re married, have three kids (with another on the way) and are on a limited budget, we very rarely go out. The last time we attempted a date night we got dressed up, excited for going out but without a plan. We drove around town for an hour, passing each of the local restaurants without any idea what we wanted to do or eat. We ended up back at home to cook our own dinner and watch Netflix, same as every other night! How many times has this happened to you? You tried to have a fun evening with your honey, but resorted to the same ol’ thing because you didn’t have a solid plan?
Well I always believe that two (or more) heads are better than one for planning anything, and so my Co-Host and I are inviting our friends, readers, and closest internet pals to come participate in an exciting Date Night Challenge Series.
Date Night Challenge Hosts
Before we give you the nitty gritty details about The Date Night Challenges you will face, let us introduce ourselves:
Patty from A Mother’s Random Thoughts – I have been married for 31 years to Jeff. We married when I was 5 which would make me 36 years old!!! (HaHa) We met in high school; I was a freshman, and he was a junior. We were friends for the next two years, and we started dating when he graduated from high school. We “went steady” for four years before we married. We have five children ranging in age from 28 to 11, and we have three granddaughters. We love Disney, traveling, and spending time together.
Julie from Saving Up For Disney – Daniel & I have been married for 5 years. I was living with my parents & son after my divorce, and he lived next door with his mom. He would bring his daughter over to play with my son on the weekends and that’s how we met. Yes, I really did marry the boy next door! Our eldest kids are only 3 months apart and we’ve added to the family with a 4-year old boy and soon to have a baby daughter. With so many kids and a tight budget, our “date nights” are usually spent at home with Netflix and a bowl of ice cream!
Our New Dating Series begins today, Monday, January 11, 2016. Every two weeks, A Mother’s Random Thoughts and Saving Up for Disney will co-host a dating challenge for couples. We will give you a scenario that you will have 2 weeks to complete. The scenarios will be simple and easy for you to incorporate into your life considering your town, lifestyle and budget. We want to make this as uncomplicated as possible for you, but also fun and challenging. We want you to have an experience on your night out that is memorable and unique to you as a couple.
After your date, you will be given the options of sharing with us through a blog post, on Instagram, or on Facebook. At the end of the 2 weeks, Patty and I (Julie) will select a winner, who will help us select a future Date Night Challenge! Every two weeks we will be posting another installment of Date Night Challenge. The purpose of these posts is to spark your imagination. I know how difficult it can be to come up with an exciting ideas, and far too often we do the same exact thing on outings. Not only did it get monotonous, but we didn’t even look forward to it. We failed to do the things necessary to make it a special time together. It was like two friends going out for dinner.
Time to Break Out of the Rut
Here is what our (Julie & Daniel) typical date looked like: Our only real “date nights” are for special occasions, like a company party or a church meeting. We haven’t been on an actual planned date night just for FUN in years. We haven’t seen a movie in a theater together since our youngest was born, four years ago. The last sit-down restaurant we went to without kids was 8 months ago. I’d love to be able to go out and connect with my husband outside of our house without having to monitor children conversations or cut someone’s food!
Because we know that boring dates are not good for a relationship, and we know that coming up with creative things to do takes time. We have decided to offer you inspiration for your date nights. Dating your spouse is important. So every two weeks we will give you an opportunity to do something different than you usually do. Help inspire your friends for a more exciting DATE NIGHT!
After careful consideration, reading and planning, we have come up with the following challenge:
- You and your spouse pick five songs that have some meaning to you and your relationship.
- Pick a location that is conducive to playing music (use earbuds if necessary) and talking (park, outside cafe, bookstore, music store, coffee shop, the backyard after the kids have gone to bed, the closet before the kids wake up, etc.)
- Make sure to talk about the songs – what you remember about them, when you first heard the song, how it made you feel, and the meaning it has in your relationship.
- Take turns with the songs. Don’t be surprised if there are some of the same songs on both your play lists.
- You have two weeks to plan, execute, and post – either as a blog post, Instagram or Facebook.
- We look forward to seeing/hearing your stories!
- You have 2 weeks to complete this Challenge. Make sure to link below by 12:01 AM EST, January 25, 2016.
- By linking, you give The Date Night Challenge Hosts to use your name and photo, and links to your social media accounts.
- We will pin, tweet, share, and promote our Date Night Challenge. We encourage you to visit other participants in this challenge, comment and share the love with them!